Monday, February 3, 2014

Fill in the Blank

Take a look at a blank wall. Go ahead. Turn around, find a blank wall. It might actually be hard to locate one!

Did you find it? OK...Are you inspired? Intrigued? Flummoxed? Or perhaps even...Worried?

Yes, blank walls are a little hard to locate. As pinterest, instagram, and the variety of photography and social media sites declare, blank space just needs to be filled with ideas and beauty and color!

But...Life sometimes feels like a blank canvas. Sometimes, you start planning or thinking about life and it just feels bland or unknown or scary or weird or... fill in the blank. It is at these moments, and really every moment, that we need to fill in the blank with a splash of LIGHT and radiance!

"Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
    no shadow of shame will darken their faces." ~ Psalm 34:5

As this year is filled with activities and "to do's," life just seems a bit gray or blank at times. I know for me, this is largely due to the lack of color and spice that was in my life with the presence of my momma, Lisa Furrow. It was always her opinion, her laugh, her wisdom, her rebuke, her genrosity, her silly habits, that gave a bit of color in my life. 

So when I feel afraid or lonely or inadequate or just blank, I have to look to Him. I HAVE to look to Him, stare straight in the SON-shine. How can I do this?

PRAY!! I need to be serious about praying. When Nehemiah heard of the destruction of Jerusalem, that all the gates were burned with fire, his response was not one of anxiety, he immediately sat down, wept, and prayed!  "When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven." (Nehemiah 1:4). 

When I read this recently, I had to really question, "When was the last time you truly fasted and wept over the condition that is troubling you?" Hmmm.... It's been a while. A note on fasting as well, fasting isn't always giving up food, it can be giving up other things that take away your attention daily. Things that could be replaced by prayer and seeking God. Media, computers, music, phone, etc. 

READ: The WORD of God is powerful, living and active. Commit to reading through the Bible and read it every day. It doesn't have to be legalistic, but read it! Then, think about it and use commentaries when possible. 

I love how Ezra was defined by his devotion, love, and obedience to God's Word. That is a great personality trait! 


"For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the Law of the Lord, and to do it, and to teach statutes and ordinances in Israel." (Ezra 7:10)

Check out this post from Lisa Furrow: http://lisafurrow.blogspot.com/2012/01/hungry.html

OBEY: Ezra 7:10 really emphasizes the need to obey God's Word. When I read something in Scripture, and the Holy Spirit is convicting me, I need to do it!

"For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was.  But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does." James 1:23-25

He is faithful to fill in the blank space. We WILL reap the rewards of the seeds that we sow. I want to sow tons of seeds in prayer, the word and obedience and watch the blank space be filled with color and light and beauty. 

He is waiting. Turn to Him and Fill in the blank!

Love you all!
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment