Friday, July 12, 2013

You are my SON-shine

In a few short months my life has taken a course I never imagined. I have experienced loss, discouragement, pain, fear, anxiety, loneliness, aching emptiness all in the midst of joy, triumph, hope and a new-ness.
video

Yes, new-ness. As the summer heat beats on thirsty desert land, creating deep and painful cracks choking the life from the soil, my soul is aching for refreshing rains to fall upon my life. To fill the cracks and heal the hardness which has calloused my weary soul. I long for an embrace, a word, a note, yet dry howling, empty wind is all that meets my ears.

video
And then...the rains come. At first soft and hardly noticeable. Then they grow, and grow until the beating upon my heart is inescapable and the tears are mixed with fresh water descending from the soft, yet imposing clouds above. I am safe in the rain, to cry and sit and wonder why. And then, when I awake, the rains have ended, but the moisture clings to the air and the dry cracks are softened and soon filled with flowers.

When I awake and hear the soft babbling of my 9 month old son, I walk wearily into his pirate-themed room and look bleary-eyed at his soft and chubby face. He greets me immediately with a smile, three little teeth growing precariously up from the bottom of his gums. His eyes sparkle with joy just at the sight of my presence. He is my son, my son-shine.

My mum used to sing that son to me and my brothers, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are grey. You'll never know dear how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."

The skies are grey, physically emotionally and spiritually. But grey skies bring rain and rain produces growth. I welcome the rain, and then when the rain is ended the sun shines through.

Through this rainy season, I find myself surrounded by "SON-shines." Friends, kids, family whose presence is my delight. Nothing needs to be said, just a smile, an embrace.

This is beautiful. If you have shone the love of Jesus to me, thank you.

"Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear." Matthew 13:43

You are my "SON-shine"

1 comment: